Wednesday, July 3, 2013

.


"Being at a Loss for Words":

I drove by the house of the girl I thought I'd end
 up marrying even though (especially because) it was far from my way home.
I told her in a note on her wedding day, 
"you'll always be the one who got away." 



She told a friend, "Cody wasn't very happy,
but I thought it was sweet."

"Sweet."


What did the word sound like when it left her lips?
Did it trail off with her eye's to the bottom of an empty glass? Was there a pause 
and a quick apology? Or was it like a gun shot? The sharp tick of her tongue against the back 
of her teeth. A startling "t" breaking through a thick Utah-born accent.

"Sweet."


Had she asked about me?

She "liked" a comment of mine on a post she had no business reading.

Still waiting for that knock on my door in the pouring rain.

Though I hope the day never comes.


I hit a snake leaving her neighborhood.
 I wrapped him up in an old henley and buried him 
under a tree behind my house. 
Maybe it's time I let go...

... regardless of me having just killed thee symbol 
of Transformation and Rebirth.


~M







No comments:

Post a Comment